Keep Warm and Stay Safe this Winter
Please keep these cold weather safety tips in mind.
- Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors - test monthly
- Clear snow from furnace and dryer vents.
- Clear snow from Fire Hydrants near your home.
- Clear snow from vehicle tailpipes.
- If using space heaters keep a 3 foot safety circle around heater and only use when home and awake do not leave running when you leave or when you go to sleep.
- If using wood or pellet stoves keep in mind ashes can remain hot for days. Place ashes in approved metal container and move away from home. Do not store ashes in house, garage, or on decks.
- If using a generator, make sure it is outside. Never plug a generator into a home outlet as it may cause "back-feeding" of electricity
- If needed, use flashlights and battery powered candles. Avoid using traditional candles, which may prevent a fire hazard.
- Prevent pipes from freezing. Allow water to trickle from your faucets which should prevent water from freezing in the pipes.
- Consider going to a shelter if needed.
- Charge your cell phone prior to winter storms.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly.
For more information on safety go toWWW.MASS.GOV/DFS and click on fire safety topics then storm safety or WWW.MASS.GOV/KEEPWARMANDSAFE.
Additional assistance can be obtained through the Office Of Fire Prevention and Code Compliance at 781-961-0991, and if unavailable speak to the dispatcher for answers to your questions.